CHEF'S SECRET - Bruschetta with beans from Caffe Itri
Author: Ciampa, Gail
Publication info: The Providence Journal [Providence, R.I] 04 Sep 2002: G-03
Owner/Chef Greg Spremulli thought I was going to ask him for his chicken gorgonzola, because it's so popular.
But when I told him it was an appetizer, he guessed it right. It's actually called the Farmer's Special, and it was one of the first dishes he ran as a special. Basically, Spremulli's brother Tony came up with the recipe to fill a space on the menu. His love for cannellini beans thrown over bread led to its creation over foccacia bread. The secret is prosciutto.
- 10 ounces cannellini beans
- 2 ounces prosciutto, diced
- 11/2 ounce red onion, diced
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/8 tablespoon black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper
- 6 ounces chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ounce chopped parsley
- Grilled foccacia bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Heat oil in saute pan. Add prosciutto and saute until golden brown.
- Add diced onion. Saute lightly.
- Add cannellini beans, chicken stock, red and black pepper.
- Add butter and simmer until sauce thickens. Add scallion and toss.
- Grill or toast foccacia bread
- Place foccacia in center of a large bowl. Pour contents of pan over foccacia. Dress with parsley.
- You can turn this appetizer into an entree by adding grilled shrimp, grilled scallops, grilled pork or grilled chicken.
Serves 1 to 2 people.